It was an evening that we were just “eating out of the pantry.” You frugal Momma’s know exactly what I’m talking about! The “try and stretch your menu night” was at it’s bare minimum. The needed ingredients for recipes was aggravating. Everywhere I turned, I was missing a an ingredient here or there. The menu was already used up, and a new month had begun. Only this month was going to be t i g h t.
I was hungry for something cheesy. I found a recipe that sounded so yummy, but low and behold I didn’t have all the ingredients needed, yet again.
SO, this thick and creamy, and cheesy goodness happened.
It’s now a f a m i l y f a v o r i t e.
Sometimes the best recipes come about with trial and error, or while we scrounge for the last bit of food in the pantry. ::wink:: Enjoy!
P.S. Homemade Cheese Sauce recipe that I used will follow soon!
- 4 cups peeled, diced potatoes
- 3 celery ribs chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tsp garlic
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (10 3/4 oz.)
- 2 cups cheese sauce or velveeta
- 1 pint mild salsa (20 oz)
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
- doritos or corn chips optional
- Combine the water, potatoes, celery, onion, and garlic in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Simmer until the vegetable are tender.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, 2 cups of cheese sauce and can of mushroom soup. Add the ham and stir until and smooth. Sprinkle with extra cheese, bacon bits and garnish with chips if desired. Serve hot. Makes 8-12servings.
var plantoeatRef = ‘d3p8b67r0x’